Who Eats What for Breakfast
They say that ‘culture eats strategy for breakfast’, but I believe that unless you have a strategy to enable a great culture then you will get eaten alive!
Over the last 18 months I have been working on a new business with my business partners called She Flies.
You might have heard of us, we are creating waves in the right circles and have been lucky enough to build a national business in 18 months. My role in the business (as part of the founding team) has been to develop the strategy and business models to ensure success.
Over the last week, I have been doing a lot of work on our company culture. Not because it wasn’t good – in fact it is excellent. But because we know that we need to be raising our bar of awesomeness. Why – because we are just about to bring in five new members to our team and we need to ensure that this bar is lifted.
The Bar of Awesomeness – This is a very real bar within any organisation related to your team. It is related to their abilities, knowledge, experience and effectiveness. By setting a clear standard (or bar of awesomeness) and not recruiting under it and training your staff beyond it, ensures that the bar is continuously lifted.
Through this process, it got me thinking on what it is that creates this great culture:
- Firstly, it is acknowledging that people are central to our businesses, our customers AND our staff.
- Secondly, it is that a great culture doesn’t just happen. It takes a lot of hard work and having a strategy for having a great culture to develop.
Setting strategy and defining culture are essential skills for very successful leaders. But setting strategy always comes first!
Here are some places we have learnt from over the last 18 months:
- Tristan White at the Physio Co. I saw him speak at an event last year and I loved what it was that he created. We stole his idea and created our our Year Book that helps to celebrate what we have achieved as a business and our people that have created it. Celebrations are important for culture. Download our Year Book here.
- Culture is Everything – Again a book by Tristan. I recently purchased this and it has helped me over the last month to really hone in on what is important. This has helped me to raise the bar!
- Creativity – Humans are creative beasts, but the system beats it out of us. We need to let people be creative, give us their ideas and let them help us develop. Watch this video and try not to be moved!
Developing a great culture doesn’t cost you anything. There is no marketing spend, there are no apps you need to purchase, you don’t need to purchase any fancy equipment. You just need a strategy to get it right.
I am passionate about creating great leaders in business. Great leadership comes from focusing on what is important. If you need help to focus on what is important in order to become a better leader, then get in touch – [email protected]
Thanks for reading
What did you think? Leave your questions in the comments below, and share this article with your friends and colleagues. If you want to work with me, then please get in touch.